We work toward our mission of empowering inner-city youth through a variety of programs that fall under three key initiatives: food justice, creation and implementation of hip-hop scholars, and Off The Block study abroad program.
Historical accomplishments include:
- Supporting Refresh The Hood Finale, in which 500 community members served fresh produce and vegan meals in food desserts (July 2012)
- Sponsoring 15 teens in Ghana cultural exchange trip in partnership with Skill Up Chicago (July 2012)
- Launching The Little Man Project, as After School Matters apprentice program (October 2012)
- Presenting “Streets on Fire: Peace for Hire,” a community-based forum at the Jacob Carruthers Center for Inner-City Studies (March 2013)
- Sponsoring Project Orange Tree, a youth-led awareness campaign on the structural causes of violence (April 2013)
- Awarding 78 male African-American high school graduates with $100 Sensei Jaco Scholarships (June 2013)